Rock&Roll Hall of Fame

Wed Mar 4 10:46:59 EST 1998

On Wednesday, March 04, 1998 3:14 PM, christian mumford
[SMTP:mumford at ONLINE.NO] wrote:
> > Anyway back to the HoF - my main observation about the "inductees" is
> > they're extremely conservative.  Which I suppose is fair enough if you
> want
> > to build up credibility,
>
> What do you mean?

Well, I guess they're trying to get everyone on their side by not offending
anyone.  There's not many acts they've "inducted" you could take a violent
objection to (except maybe Rod Stewart :).   But I agree the whole thing is
absurd, really - rock and roll is *about* offending people!  Not
celebrating what your dad used to listen to!

We don't really go in for halls of fame in this country.  That's what we've
got an honours system for.  We just give them knighthoods.  When they're
sufficiently geriatric.

If there's anything that IMO goes against conservatism
> it
> should be the ever changing face of (real anyway) rock'n'roll. These
> people
> have some yucky, unpassionate, glitzy showbiz view of it all, know
> nothing
> about music, and probably never attended a rock'n' roll show... except
> the
> Grammys on TV or something.

Now I'd agree that the Grammys are "lame".  Not just for the notorious time
when they finally included a heavy metal category, only to give it to
Jethro Tull!!!!  I suppose they reflect someone's taste, but whose?

-Andy