BOC: Heaven Forbid

Matthew Braun mbraun at URBANA.CSS.MOT.COM
Fri Mar 13 12:32:49 EST 1998

Dawa <dawa at INTCON.NET> writes:
>You know whether or not Heaven Forbid "flat out sucks", or whether it's
>mediocre or whether its just a good solid rock album, I think we should
>all cut BOC a little slack and not expect so much.

I couldn't disagree more.  If expectations aren't allowed to be raised
after 10 years of waiting, when are they?  If the band was touring
relentlessly, since their last album of a year ago, and had no time to
write or develop anything, but by contract had to put an album out--that'd
be one thing.  But they've only put two (so-so) new tracks out in 10 years.
They've been playing some of the HF songs in concert since 1991.  (The
tracks were written closer in time to Imaginos than to HF.)  And they were
pretty good then.  If they haven't gotten them "right" by now, it just
ain't gonna happen.

If they CAN'T come out with something decent after all this time, I must
admit I would doubt their ability to do so in the future.  This doesn't
mean I'm going to go sell all my BOC stuff, or anything.  That MoFi "Agents
of Fortune" is worth its weight in gold...and then some. :-)

>I for one would like to see a nice album, I'm not expecting a masterpiece
>by any means.
Quite frankly, neither am I.  Given the number of record deals which have
fallen through, and the quality of "Bad Channels", I'd say that the bar has
been lowered sufficiently that almost anything will be accepted by the fans.

>What I really hope for is for BOC to just keep at it no matter what the
>album does and I know with the talent that has been shown to us time and
>time again that the music will be even better beyond March 24th :)
Ummmm...some of that talent is showing up in other groups these days... :-)

                                        m@

+-mbraun at urbana.css.mot.com-+--Experiments that failed too many times -----BOC+
|   Matt Braun -- Motorola, |    Transformations that were too hard to find   |
|  Urbana, IL Design Centre | Poison's in my bloodstream, poison's in my pride|
+---------------------------+--- I'm after rebellion, I'll settle for lies----+