Eeeny Faces (Was: Dissing Zappa)

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Mar 27 10:21:09 EST 1998

In article <199803271218.NAA09613 at online.no>, reset <mumford at ONLINE.NO>
writes
>Jeez, they were just a wonderful band. Ogden's Nut Gone Flake is up there
>with Forever Changes or Revolver as far as classic albums from that era go,
>I think few people would agree that they were "talentless media creations".
>Any Marriott/Lane song is a classic (not just my opinion I think) in its
>own right and the Small Faces have influenced some of the most influental
>bands of ANY era in poular music since and still do. Tin Soldier? Itchicoo
>Park? Here Come The Nice? And about 40 more classics - Y'can't deny it!
>
>Christian

Watcha Gonna Do About It?
Sha La La La Lee
My Mind's Eye
All Or Nothing
I Can't Make It
(even) Lazy Sunday
Afterglow
Long Ago And Worlds Apart
Song Of A Baker
Become Like You
Green Circles
Autumn Stone
Call It Something Nice
Wham, Bam Thank You Mam!

Nearly as easy to recall as Hawkwind songs!

I'm particularly fond of the instrumental track Ogdens Nut Gone Flake, a
far-out psych classic. I met Steve Marriott once and rolled the guy a
cup of tea. I didn't know who he was until a couple of years after. He
was one of the nicest, funniest guys I ever met, and like I say, he was
just some bloke to me at the time. Probably just as well, otherwise I'd
probably been to tounge-tied to talk. It was at a Here & Now gig, his
"Packet Of Three" had just replaced us as support about 3 days before
the gig. Small Faces are one of the very few bands I feel soppy about.

The Ogden's album for me is *the* '60's album. You can pick up the
greater percentage of their work on the two LP's "Ogden's" and "Autumn
Stone", and they'll only set you back about a tenner the pair.

But you really need the box set of The Immediate Years. (Mmm, mono
versions, outakes, different mixes etc)

Great haircuts too <grin>
--
Jon