Followup to New on the List

Mon Mar 30 16:54:18 EST 1998

> From:          Miles Lester <lestewm at MAIL.AUBURN.EDU>
>
> I think I will refrain from any RUSH comparisons in this group, it does seem
> to draw battle lines, though I think the lines are not as clear as some of
> you would like to think. Needless to say, I do enjoy Rush, but will respect
> the sanctity (sp?) of this group topic.

Oh, now, don't tease us!  Come on with your Rush praise.  Hey, I
actually saw Rush open for BOC back in the good old days...

> On HW, I think I will have to track down a few CD's and listen for myself.
> Thanks for some of the suggestions that have been offered.
>
> On HF, a few comments.
>
> 1) I honestly do "not" like the cover art. I find it to not be in following
> with BOC's previous artwork or even character. I brought my CD into the
> office so I could listen to it all day, and every single co-worker who came
> in, looked at the CD, grimaced and always formed a negative opinion before

>From the thumbnail shot at CMC's website, I formed a snap judgement
against it too.  Seeing it in the store, it looked a helluva lot
better!  As an old-time BOC fan, the cover doesn't really bother me
much.  I actually like the inner picture as well.  Not Gawlik, but
not all that bad...

> listening to anything on the album. Harvest Moon, however usually turned
> them around :-).
>
> 2) Of course, Harvest Moon is the epitomy of BOC on this CD. It speaks to me
> directly, reminds me what  has always been about BOC that I liked, and
> frankly, is fast becoming my favorite BOC song.

This song really blows me away as well.  I see 3 instant BOC classics
on this record:
SYiB, HM, and LFM.  The rest is pretty impressive too.  SYiB proves
that EB is back!  In a major way.  All of us hand wringers should go
out and get ourselves bitch-slapped!  Some people have niggled over
the lyrics, but I think they're classic BOC subject matter.  In fact,
I'm pretty pleased with Shirley's lyrics overall...HM, what can you
say?  The lyrics are great, and show the maturity and road-weariness
that must tug at BD's psyche all the time.  This time the autumn wind
is doing the reaping, but the effect's the same.  LFM, again, a BD
tear-jerker a la that tune from Flat Out whose name escapes...

> 3) I'll never be able to oogle over another man's wife anymore without now
> thinking to myself  "I'd like to see you in black" <grin> think about
> it............. what an opening line! (I'm terrible, married and have 4 kids
> but I can still dream, no!)

But not a new topic to BOC.  'Veins' comes to mind.  But that opening
line IS great.  Really grabs ya, and lets ya know this is a BOC
record after all, the tender ballads notwithstanding...

> 4) If I am to be honest in a BOC group, I think I would point out that I
> find HF to be an excellent work, but one that only confirms that I am
> possibly more  a fan of Buck Dharma, than BOC. Everywhere I turn, it is his

Well, on first listen, I thought:  'hmm...a BD solo album,
this...'Not so sure about that assessment now, but I'm sure glad BD
did the production on this one.  The guitars are beautiful.  Only
gripe is a lack of keys.  Are they there, just mixed down, or
non-existent?

> influence that I see, or enjoy/respect. This statement is not at all
> intended to belittle or lessen the influence and respect I have for Eric,
> Allen, Al or Joe or any other BOC members in the past, present, or future,
> only to affirm the esteem that I hold Buck in!

Well, dude, BD's always been in a world alone.  Others may know more
scales or play more notes, but Like Jeff Beck, BD knows what do do
with the notes he plays, and what to say whith them.  The feeling,
and intensity he brings to his playing makes him one of the all-time
greats...

Personally, I love the album.  It's different, sure, but we have to
realize that BOC's never gonna make another ST.  Hell, none of the
albums after ST measures up to that standard [nor has anything anyone
else has done since then, IMHO]  It's unfair to judge them against
their own masterpiece, esp. given that Joe and Al aren't along
anymore.  But reallay, even with Joe and Al, they never recaptured
ST, and we shouldn't blame tham.  They've been at it 25 years, and
they should be allowed a little indulgence by as, and a bit of
breathing room to branch out and explore other things.

The lyrics may not be SP, but they're pretty damned good [of course
the best song, HM didn't have any outside help, like DFtR] and light
years removed from CN.  Give them credit for hooking up with a
quality lyricist this time.  Musically, the album's solid, and BD's
production is damned sure of itself.  This album is actually way
better than I'd dreamed it would be.

Did somebody say 'where's the next album?'
theo