BOC: Dissin' Diz Busters? Not really, I'm just lame!

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Sep 9 10:23:17 EDT 1998

Ghost said:
>> 1. Don't like this song and never listen to it.

>While I appreciate taste is entirely personal & unique, I find this
rather intriguing. 7S D-Bs is practically *the* definitive BOC song of
their
early work - sinister lyrics, spooky atmosphere and some great playing.

OK, it deserves an explanation but I warn you now its a very lame
explanation...

Let me state first that this is one of the best rocking songs BOC ever
crafted.  The Feet/Knees version used to make my tone arm smoke when
played at 10.   I will never argue that this isn't a quality song,
initially I loved it.  Until one day I paid close attention (as much as
your average pot smoking teenager in '76 was capable of) and I noticed
this...

"Hey Lou- loverboy" and "And he don't mean Reed" come to mind."

I didn't like Eric's little monologue.  It rubbed me the wrong way at
the wrong time.  Yeah there was some dark tunes and dark bands in the
70's but this particular instant rubbed me the wrong way.  I didn't know
then it was tongue in cheek.  I swore off the record after this.

Lame I know.  However bear in mind that lyrics in the 70's were not the
end all for me.  Most time I didn't know them or even cared.  Heck pick
out any song (except Astronomy) sung by Eric on the first three and I
couldn't begin to tell you what he was mumbling.  He sounded great doing
it but the words just never sank in.  At this point in my life my fave
players in the band were Al, Joe and Buck, they were responsible for the
groove you got with BOC.

This takes me to another tagent, BOC become my fave band the first time
I saw them becuase of the tremendous groove they had.  Plenty of bands
played heavy tuneage in the 70's but none of them had the same rythm as
BOC.  I bowed down at the temple of Bouchard, Al's soulful drumming and
Joe's thumping hip grinding bass.  Heheheheh I thought both of these
guys were "brothers" in disguise.  Buck I found totally strange, why was
a jazz guitarist playing heavy metal music?  To this day I firmly belive
that Buck could play jazz music better than rock and roll.

>I would say this is true for the live version on "On Your Feet..."  The
studio version is somewhat "sour" sounding to my ears.  Especially the
"evil sound" which is made far too evil by Eric's out-of-tune
accompaniment to the organ! ;-)  And the live version showcases the
band's tongue-in-cheek nature, "Hey Lou- loverboy" and "And he don't
mean Reed" come to mind.  The improv between Buck and Al top it all off.

Undoubtedly the MUSIC on the live version is top notch, only Subhuman
exceeded it (IMHO).  The studio version is just plain out flat.

>What's there not to like - its got all the attributes that made BOC
what they were !

Were?  I guess your right as this is not the same band from the early
days, so I'll get tangential once more THIS WAS THE TIME PERIOD TO MAKE
IMAGINOS!  Sorry Al, I know I harp on this way too much.

OK, I hoped I cleared that up for those with questions.  In summary, 7
Diz is not to be dissed, I just didn't like the song after a while for
my own weird reasons.

Ghost in the Ruins...

who's gonna get weirder by listening to some Adam and the Ants...