25 Years CD Rot

Mark Edmonds edmondsm.brbs at EMS.RAIL.CO.UK
Tue Apr 6 05:14:00 EDT 1999

From: Mark Edmonds
Date: 1999-04-06 10:14

My 25 Years Virgin CD is showing serious signs of decay. It looks like
air is getting into the layer between the data part of the disc and the
label and it looks like it has streaks of some sort of growth growing
into the centre of the disc. Thankfully, the playing time of this disc is
so short that it has to grow over more than 50% of the disc to affect the
sound but its not very conforting anyway. Has anyone else come across
this problem or have I just got a dud? If it is a case of the disc layers
separating, is there a known cure to slow the process down? I was
wondering if something crazy like putting a thin layer of glue round the
rim might help matters? Thanks for any advice here.

Mark (hoping that a remaster of this CD will come out before its too
late)