OFF: Metallica

Ted Alger ted at ALGER.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Apr 7 20:29:40 EDT 1999

Ghost said:

>  Not sure when this
>happened but 98Rock from Baltimore can now be heard where I live and thats a
>least a 100 miles from B'more.  This is a good heavy rock station; they
>refrian from alternative and give you a ton of classic and current heavy
>music.  One of the things they do every hour is"mandatory Metallica".  No
>Enter Sandman or Turn the Page, they play a lot of the classic stuff.
>Listening to this blistering number the other day I thought "damn that kinda
>sounds like Metallica but it really rocks and its so, so, so damned fast."
>To my surprise it was, something from Master of Puppets I believe.

they must have had one heck of a format change... because when I left
Baltimore last year about all they were playing was "alternative".....
Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden... every hour almost like clock
work...heck I couldn't even get them to play King's X when they were
in town and the station was giving away tickets to the show!

>Huge difference in Metallica then and now.  I kinda like the "then".  Maybe
>I'll reassess these guys by getting one of the older releases and then
>Garage Inc as a comparison.  Anybody got a classic Metallica recommendation?

I like "Ride the Lightning" myself... but if you really want to get classic
I suppose I could pull out my copy of "No Life Til Leather"..... just
for the ol' Mustaine influence (and the bad lyrics on "Mechanix" and
"Jump In The Fire")

Ted