OFF: Many things

Mark P Lee MLee at ESPARTO.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Apr 16 08:38:40 EDT 1999

Here's my 10 bobs worth then (About a dollar for non UK citizens),

>> i dunno what kind of computer this'll be done on, but digitizing all of the
>> tapes in one gulp will require an sh*tload of memory; could this part of
the
>> process be broken up between a few people? this will be one of the most
>> critical aspects of this project (won't it?)

Well if it helps I've got about 50 G's scattered around the dept, streaming in
via councard should produce about a me a minute, but we all knew that....
I could tidy up if required using Soundforge or just about 'owt else out
there.

>I've enough memory to write one CDR at a time which is really all that's
>needed. I can digitise each track, cleam 'em up with Cooldeit Pro and
>then put 'em together on the disc using either CD Creator, Feurio or
>Cooledit.

Eh, Memory is far less impartant than hard drive speed and space innit ?
Or am I misunderstanding, I can also write with EZ s/w or Prassi or
DiscJuggler etc etc etc. . . Only got one burner tho'  :((

>> there are applications specifically for cd-sleeve composition/layout; maybe
>> someone out there has it...i have a friend who does >>>this isnt necessary,
>> of course, but such things do exist<<<... you could do a double-sided
insert

Corel and most modern DTP stuff has templates available, I just created a page
with crop marks to indicate the sizes myself, bung in yer images and text,
whack it the printer and attack it with a guillotine.

>> booklet pretty easily by laying it out the way the pros do it, each
sheet of
>> paper representing four pages...and those of you w/printers already know
the
>> difference in xpense twixt black & white and color printing (grin)

Mmmmmm, profit !!  Oh yeah, we charge out some amazing prices coz we
have to sub all our colour work out, talk about extortion. Maybe they should
apply the same rules as paint, any colour you like is cheap, 'cept black !!!

>> but based on my own xperiences in the last year or so w/digitizing tapes
and
>> putting together a cd, depending on your machine(s), memory capacity
will be
>> a factor, even if you have a lot.

As long as I only run at x2 and not x4 I can burn and run most of my server
apps at the same time, only 128Mb, but I could do the same with 64 as
long as I turned my gateway client s/w off.

Then I spotted this:-

>>      inner cities, and is now working it's way to smaller towns.  It seems
>>      that a new form of gang initiation is to go find  as many pay phones
>>      as possible and put a mixture of LSD and Strychnine onto the buttons.

Ooooooh naughty 8-0

>>      This mixture is  deadly to the human touch, and apparently, this has
>>      killed some people on the east coast.  Strychnine is a  chemical used
>>      in rat poison and is easily separated from the rest of the chemicals.
>>      When mixed with LSD,  it creates a substance that is easily absorbed
>>      into the human flesh, and highly fatal.  Please be careful  if you are
>>      using a pay phone anywhere.  You may want to wipe it off, or just not
>>      use one at all.  If you have any questions, you can contact me at the
>>      links  listed below.  Please be very careful.

Q1.  Could you be more specific as to which towns ?

Q2.  Could you tell me which phone booths ?

Q3.  Exactly which digits on the pad ?

Q4.  When will they be having the next initiation ceremony ?

Comment1.  I guess the only expalnation for this is that some phone co. in
the area must have made some employee very disgruntled, whoever came up with
the idea must be short of some grey cells by the sound of it so no loss to
his presumably previous employer   :))))

[The idea made me grab my phone pronto tho' just to check ya know]

>>      Let your friends and family know about this potential hazard.  Thank

My mother refuse to come home, she's running 'round the streets of Derby with
a headband on and a flower clutched tightly to her heaving bosom....

[darn, my shrink was right about that Oedipus stuff]

The above gave rise to cetain questions which should be addressed:-

>Fatal = fatal..or am I wrong here...

Usually the case, but not in Unix  :)  Boolean Roolean !=SO

>Dead seems to be dead...but who am I to say something about
>that, I'm NOT dead, at least I think so.

Ahhh, depends entirely on your religious standpoint, some say we
continue to live in a differnt state not comprehensible to our minds
whilst trapped in the confines of our bodies.

And then:-

>oh thank you for this morning's levity.. last night i got an e-mail from
>jesus too...spring is in the air....^_~

His dad told him to stay away from me as I have a bad influence on him :))))

Followed by:-

[snip - tour dates]

Andy G.  Any dates for Spacehead June/July yet apart from the
ones Dibster mentioned at the weekend, I guess I should check out
your site again.

>The 13th North-German Hawkfan Festival presents The Space Party 1999 with
>free entry and free camping.
>Fri., June 11, 1999 Video/Slides/Chatting
>Sat., June 12, 1999 Live music/light show featuring: Spacehead (UK),

Aha !  More UK dates please, Coventry, Stoke, Derby....

And nextly ther came:-

>The 5th Unidentified Flying Octave (UFO) Festival (described as "an
>experimental music and magic rock festival") will be held over the summer

Wadda F*** is Magic Rock, anything to do with mushrooms ??

Now we come to this one:-

>naughty people take drugs. They speculate that after one dose the drugs
>begin to affect the reasoning abilities of the user in such a way as to
>prevent them calculating that it would be a bad idea to take them again.

But it's true, I get totally out of my head and lose the ability to make
rational decision, even simple things start to appear comical after
a couple 'a tabs.

>The of course the "vicious spiral" continues. It's startlingly obvious
>that it's never occurred to them that people might do this because it's
>fun.

Darn tootin; of course we moderate ourselves, don't we ??

The review followed this:-

[Hack for brevity]

>     Wandering between loo and bar after the set, I bump into
>Dumpy who spies the Hawkwind T-shirt, and we chatted merrily
>about Bedouin.  He was pretty psyched by them, as a "head band
>with _power_", and said Alan & Co had stayed with him after
>their gig up his way. "It always takes me a few days to recover
>after Alan stays <grin>".  Said a lot of Hawkfans got put off
>by Bedouin for being too loud and in yer face, but _right_on_,
>man!  Noting me as an obvious young'un, he couldn't resist
>pointing out he'd been at the Brixton Sundown when _Space
>Ritual_ was recorded.  I told him he was a bastard, which
>seemed perfectly fair :)

He was at the Derby gig in Dec last year, great guy, but you are
correct about his parentage, he seemed proud to be a loud
fat b*****d, can't say I blame him, great guy, good laugh, nice smoke.

And then, lo and behold:-
[Hacked a lot]

>schreef:schreef:schreef:schreef:schreef:schreef:schsschreef:schreef:chreefs
chs
>chreef:schreef:schscscschreef:hreeschreef:f:hreeschreef:f:reef:reef:schreef
::r
>eef:scschreef:hreef:schrschreef:eef:schreeschreschreef:schreef:ef:f:schresc
hre

Sounds like the noise you get from the 'phone :))

Thats my lot for the mo' later guys.

Mark.

Please reply to       mark at esparto.demon.co.uk