HW: Fw: Those Voiceprint bastards Reply

david hall dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Dec 14 11:15:39 EST 1999

Am I getting some verbal here, or what. Just for the record Complete 79 has
been
blasting, not continuously, out my speakers since the day it dropped onto my
doormat. Live 82 not so much, but still fun to listen to. Yeah, and I'm
looking forward to the Weird releases (I've already posted re the quality of
the
covers), even though I've got them all (I remember sending off to Wolden at
the news of every release)
- some info on the new track listings would be nice. And, again for the
record, I've never knocked VP - you've
put out some good stuff - a lot of it in my record collection.
To include me on your list you must be objecting to my comments on the
production. Well too bad, as much as I enjoy 79 it is let down by the
production. In saying that if it were really awful I'd take back to the shop
for a refund - pronto! Your comments on 82, fair enough. Anyway comments
posted are
in the grand tradition of record buying, remember hanging out with your
mates
and the good record-shite record debates?

Official releases should be of good quality, unless marked otherwise. The
tapes released
by Jonny at GAS are a good example i.e. "the quality will vary due to
source" -it's good stuff too.

I'll give you an example of a howler that shouldn't have been released: Guy
Evans and Peter Hammill
"The Union Chapel Concert" -featuring a one-off reformation of Van der Graaf
Generator (Pawn Hearts -no Nic Potter unfortunately). Now this is an
audience recording, complete with coughs - the performance is rough too.
Fans will buy it because they've waited for years for a reunion, they'll
probably play it once. It could have been released as a limited edition
freebie CD along with Peter's next release. A mate lent this to me with the
description "bag o' shite pal". I'll recommend that he buys Complete 79 but
advise him about the production, that seems alright to me.

I suppose if you're a collector of any band you'll buy just about any
release that the band put out. That leaves them open to rip-off (I'm not
suggesting that here, let's get that clear) , for example the new Led Zep
compilation albeit including a live track on CD rom.

I stopped "collecting" at the release of the final volume of Friends and
Relations, and I'm not interested in bootlegs (except ones of exceptional
quality). All I'm interested in is putting a shiny disc in the machine,
turning up the volume, and having a blast. When Hawkwind are on form they
cannot be surpassed, and I'll rave on to mates about the latest release. If
it's a duffer then it's an extreme disappointment as expectations are high.

I think that's about it.

Dave

Please include me on any Voiceprint mailing list.