HW: JAP for the JavaScript impaired

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Feb 9 15:53:40 EST 1999

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:54:10 EDT, "Ted Jackson jr. s2h2"
<tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU> wrote:

> From:          Carl Edlund Anderson <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>>
>>      These are mysteriously labelled, being essentially
>> pictures of Lemmy.  Shockingly, *no*Rick* in the first shot!
>> What is that bass he's playing?  Sort of SGish shape but I can't
>> tell.  Stacia doesn't actually appear in the second photo
>> at all (which features a quite wasted-looking Lemmy and
>> what appears to be an unidentified grinning Danish lady).
>>
>I was originally thinking Alembic, but I'm not sure of the date the
>pic was taken, and I can't really imagine Lemmy playing an Alembic.

Is that DikMik in the picture?  It would have to be no later than 1973, then.

>I'm thinking it could be an Acoustic Black Widow.  For a brief time,
>the Acoustic Amp. company marketed a line of double-cut basses and
>gtrs that looked something like what's in the pic...

... and it looks to me like a short-scale bass (as were the Gibson
SG-shaped ones - were those EB3's?, but it's not quite the right shape, I
don't think).  Some Alembics were short-scale, too, weren't they?  Although
again, I can't imagine Lemmy playing one (but I can barely imagine him
playing anything other than a Ric 4001/4003).

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com