FAO Kris re HW: Edinburgh Concert

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jun 16 13:55:20 EDT 1999

M Holmes writes:

> XXX writes:
>
> > > By the way, do you  (or anyone on the list) live in Edinburgh? If so has
> > > there been any advertising for a  concert/event  around the 27th August
> > > under Edinburgh Castle, with Ken Kesey (Merry Pranksters), Paul McCartney
> > > and the original line up of Hawkwind? we have been approached to do it
> > and
> > > it is supposed to be a large confirmed event. If this is so it should
> > have
> > > been publicised by now. Can anyone tell us if they have seen any
> > > advertising?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > > Kris
>
> I've done a little asking around about this. Ken Kesey was at last years
> Edinburgh Festival at the invite of a theatre company called FLUX. This
> year FLUX have a venue in the Grassmarket and also the Ross Bandstand
> in Princes Street Gardens. They tend towards the more underground sort
> of bands and so it seems reasonably likely that it may be FLUX who have
> been in touch with you.
>
> As far as advertising goes, I doubt that any of the Festival or Fringe
> stuff is out yet. What happens is that the Fringe release a programme

Interesting.   Didn't know about FLUX but I'll just add a note to say
that I went down to the Fringe Office on the High Street and although
they are not yet open for bookings (that'll happen in July) they do
have the Fringe Programme available so I'll list what's there:

The Ross Bandstand (actually Ross Theatre) is listed twice:

Music:  Flux Festival/Orbital - Flux Festival  Aug 13  8pm - midnight

Talks and Events:  Festival Revue - Festival Revue Aug 7 - 30
12noon - midnight.

Description of venue:  Edinburgh's premier performance preview
centre with the Castle as backdrop and Princes Street to the fore.
Performances shows on 11 sqm daylight screens, one can be seen from
Princes Street.   World-wide transmission on the Internet, cable TV
and satellite-linked to Covent Garden screen.

On the relevant pages the info is as follows:

FLUX FESTIVAL
Orbital launch the biggest Flux Festival yet;  bigger gigs, more
venues....   'Flux continue to showcase the best and the brave' Time Out
'Excited? You should be' The Scotsman

Artists mentioned appearing at the Queens Hall are  The Fall, Ivor
Cutler, and Marc Almond.    No mention of anyone else although "... and
more" is listed in the advert.

Tickets: 0870 907 0999   0131 220 4349  (0131 668 2019 is the Queen's
Hall number)

FESTIVAL REVUE
"Become part of the largest live arts broadcast party in the world.
Preview hundreds of live performances appearing at this year's Festival
as well as video presentations covering every conceivable art form.
Food, drink, and performances all day every day."

Aug 7-30  12.00 noon - midnight.   Free.

Adverts are written by the companies themselves.

At a guess I'd say that FLUX have possibly booked the 27th at the
Ross Bandstand for a live show.   Orbital are confirmed for the 11th
so they may have others in mind as well.   But that's only a guess.

> really be expected until next month.  The word is that FLUX are very
> reliable though.
>
> Having Hawkwind play the Ross Bandstand would be truly amazing. Having a
> reunion with ex-hawks and the Ken & Babs duo would be outstanding.

Interestingly the Firework Show used to be at the end of the 2nd week
of the Festival (orchestra plays on the Ross Stage while whizzbangs fly
around dramatically all over the place) but it's been moved to the
final week this year.   A live Hawkwind show would certainly make for
a spectacular event to fill the space.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk