OFF: Spooky Tooth

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Mar 5 12:48:52 EST 1999

Hi Folks...

Well, another day...another reunion.  Just continues to prove my theory that
*no* classic rock band is truly gone forever.  Yes, Spooky Tooth has just
released a 'new' album, with four of the original five.  (Gary Wright is not
involved.)

I'm sure most of you here aren't particularly interested, though there is a
Hawkwind connection since Huwy and Luther Grosvenor played together in
Widowmaker.  But I've always liked them, and have a strange appreciation of
Mike Harrison's voice.  Strange, because I don't care much for the other
raspy blues singers that he's often compared to...like Joe Cocker and Chris
Farlowe.

Anyway, the new album's called 'Cross Purpose' (RUF 51416-1445), and you can
tell it's new from the cover photo alone...my God, these guys look old!
There are a couple familiar tunes..."That was only Yesterday" has been
redone (not bad...but unnecessary, really) and "Love is Real" which
apparently was on the 'Supernatural Fairy Tales' album by the pre-Spooky
Tooth band 'Art.'  Hmmmm...I don't remember this tune, even though I've got
that album.  I like this version, though...one of the better tunes.  I'll
have to compare it to the original.

There's also a remake of 'Tears Behind my Eyes' that Mike Harrison covered
years ago on one of his solo albums.  That version was better than this one,
though the cheesy 70s organ tainted the earlier one.  A handful of original
tunes and a couple other covers fill out the album.  It's really just a
nostalgia trip though, but worth the $5 I spent on it.

Oh, yeah, Blondie reunited also.  To be honest, I kinda like the new single
(Maria), but I've heard that the album is crap overall.  Not surprised...
I've always thought that Harry has an amazing voice, but the band has never
done much of anything truly worthwhile.  I think the problem is that they've
never truly had their own 'voice.'  If there's one band that's been
mercilessly jacked around by their marketing gurus (seemingly without any
resistance from the 'artists' themselves), it's Blondie.  'You want us to be
punk?  Sure, ok.  ....disco?  Sure, ok.  ...new wave?  Sure, ok.'

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I have to admit to liking "Heart of Glass"...100% disco I know, but it
works for me in some unexplicable way.