OFF: 10 Most hated

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Fri Mar 19 19:36:05 EST 1999

Laj Waldner writes:

> DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 3/19/99 5:58:15 AM, cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK writes:
> >
> > <<It's all I can do to grudgingly admit Cobain wrote catchy pop
> > songs :)
> > >>

> > i think cobain had a paticular vein to mine, and it was probably
> > FINITE...however much regard cobain deserves, it was DAVE GROHL who made
> > nirvana platinum as much as, or moreso, than cobain

> Care to elaborate?
>      I think Kurt wrote most of Insecticide, and Kurt and Chris
> Novaselic wrote most of In Utero, I didn't think Dave Grohl was a big
> song writing contributor to Nirvana. I could see that statement turned
> around, being in Nirvana probably gave Dave Grohl's Foo Fighters a huge
> perferbial (spelling?) kick in the ass for their popularity. I don't
> know if im as sure as you are that Kurt's vein had come dry, I mean In
> Utero (their last) was a terrific album.

The common wisdom on the old GRUNGE-L (the greatest mailing list I've
ever been on) was that Grohl was the "serious musician" in the band.
Despite Cobain being the obvious "vision and voice" of the band, there
were a lot who felt that Grohl's seriousness and professionalism were
held the band together.

That said, I don't an album by The Dave Grohl Band would have changed
my life in 1990, like _Nevermind_ did.

Steve
swann at plutonia.com