BOC-L Digest - 30 Oct 1999 to 31 Oct 1999

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon Nov 1 08:50:38 EST 1999

> One of the things that I have noticed is that in the early days, Buck or
> Eric would stop playing guitar if they were singing lead on some songs.
> Nowadays, I don't see Buck or Eric doing this.  I see them playing while
> singing and Buck, specifically, seems to be pushing the envelope on his
> playing and singing.  Frankly, I think that his voice has improved over time
> and his guitar work really hits the mark.

Yes - I've looked at video footage from early 80s and this is definitely
the case with Buck (he used to not play guitar when singing the verses
to "Burnin' for You", for example).  I think Eric still stops playing
guitar when singing though.

I believe Buck also took some singing lessons a few years back - when he
had to handle a bit more of the lead vocals when Eric's voice went south
for a bit.

> >BTW, I just got a video of Joe Bouchard teaching some fundamentals of
> >rock bass.  It's very much geared to a beginner, and is only about 40
> >minutes long, but it is pretty cool.
> >
>     Is this video available commercially, and if so, who, what, when, where,
> and how much (ya' know--the usual suspects)?

I don't know.  I got mine off an Ebay auction, and it is a tape dupe.
I'm not complaining because as a fan of Joe it's a cool thing for me to
have, but the only other problem with it is that the bass is too low in
the mix (had to really crank the TV volume to hear it) - whether it is
that way on the original or not I don't know.  I know Joe has a GUITAR
book that is commercially available, but I haven't previously seen any
bass instruction material.

John