[HW] Story behind 1999 party?

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 5 10:19:07 EST 1999

In a message dated 11/5/99 9:43:30 AM, vincentr at COGNOS.COM writes:

<<
I just got back from Toronto, where I managed to keep to my vow to myself
and bought a whole bunch of Hawkwind (including scoring Space Ritual and
Hall Of The Mountain Grill), as it is hard to track down Hawkwind in
Ottawa. One of the CDs I got was the 1999 Party (Live at the Chicago
Auditorium) and am listening to it as we speak. Problem is that it has
practically no liner notes and my knowledge of Hawkwind history isn't as
precise as it might be. Would somebody be able to tell me any story behind
this particular gig/CD ?
============
the '1999 party' tour was HW supported by Man in the spring of '74. twas also
simon house's first tour as an 'official' HW member, i do believe. <yes, for
once again, kids, house's parts on mtn grill's "you'd better believe it" and
"paradox" were dubbed in the studio, which is why the superior 1/26/74
edmonton show hasnt been released. house would be unlikely to go back and
overdub through the whole show two + decades later ^_~>>

that ''99 party' cd  is a strange fish; "a space ritual" has much better
sound quality.
turner and house go in and out of the mix, lemmy is louder on some songs than
others, and.....(wait for it)....there's some canned applause, too. people
applaud the beginning of songs they =might= have heard =once= , 6 months
previous.
as an official release, this was carelessly done.

that said, anything 'new' from this era of the band, ya gotta have it.

and that 1/26/74 gig is great, house notwithstanding. "paradox" is 3 minutes
longer, "it's so easy" is over twice as long, and y'dont have to listen to
house playing "you cant always get what you want" along with it. mr. calvert
makes a rare '74 appearance as well, as the 'space ritual' era was truly
coming to a close.
==>>worth releasing, mr. brock....

"<>"