Space is Deep

Fri Nov 12 12:57:39 EST 1999

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, M Holmes wrote:

> I lost the message I was replying to. Sorry.
>
> Anyway, our Codex entry is:
>
> Space Is Deep
>     1     Doremi Fasol Latido
>     1     Roadhawks
>     1     The Best of Hawkwind [EMI Metal Classics cassette]
>     1     25 Years On [Griffin 4-CD Set]
>     1     Epoch Eclipse 30 Year Anthology
>  L  2     Space Ritual Alive
>  L  2     Weird 108 - Hawkwind 1966-73
>  L  2     British Tribal Music
>  L  2     Stasis
>  L  2     The Hawkwind Anthology Vol. II CD
>  L  2     Acid Daze Vol. III
>  L  2     The Hawkwind Anthology Vol. III
>  L  2     The Hawkwind Anthology 1967-1982 [Castle 2CD]
>  L  2     The Hawkwind Collection
>  L  2     The Best and the Rest of Hawkwind
>  L  2     Hawkwind Anthology triple CD box set [Castle Communications]
>  L  2     Best of Hawkwind
>  L  2     Space Is Deep
>  L  2     Live & Rare (Onward Flies The Bird)
>  L  2     Master of the Universe [Pulse CD]
>  L  2     Silver Machine CD [Hallmark compilation]
>     3     Strange Trips And Pipe Dreams   {Space}
>

> The message commented that Rob Godwin had another live entry in his
> Codex, possibly for Space Ritual II.
>
> Our Codex has "Space" on SRII as really being "Electronic Number One".
> If we've got it wrong then certainly we should change the Codex entries
> but I'm not convinced that in this case, we are.

        From what I remember of SRII then `Space' is a composite of `Space
is Deep' and `Electronic No. 1' - the actual tracks are however the same.
However, I have the Castle Best Of and the `Space Is Deep' on there is
different; only, however, in mix. The sax is much higher up, the guitar
slightly lower, the drums also. I only have the remaster of SR so can't
compare it with the unfiltered original, but I'd say that the Codex might
benefit from a 1(a) to represent this different mix. I'm not sure which of
the above have 1 and which the proposed 1(a) but I could give it a fair
guess. Yours,
                Jon