HW Fathead Halls, Croydon - quick review

Si Halley sihalley at VOSSNET.CO.UK
Sun Nov 14 19:51:04 EST 1999

Subject: HW Fathead Halls, Croydon - quick review

> Hmm - I've seen better.

That`s an understatement. You`re being kind.

> It seemed very disjointed - nowhere near as flowing as most HW gigs I've
> seen.

Let`s be honest. It didn`t flow at all. They just kept stopping. Then dave
consulted the set list, then they started again.

>Nik wore an awesome spiky latex alien costume.

The high point!

>The dancers were  uninspired (it seemed).

Totally. Personally I`ve never really 'got' the dancers but tonight they
were embaressing.

> The balance was truly appalling: the vocals levels were all over the
place -
> sometimes too loud, other times much too quiet; Jerry's guitar was far too
> quiet (pity - his guitar playing on Hippy seemed great, but could hardly
> hear him on anything else); Simon House's violin was virtually inaudible;
> Ian's bass was very loud (pity, 'cause he's a crap bassist); Nik's sax was
> audible (great pity - his noodling may have sounded alright 20-25 years
ago,
> but it just doesn't fit in any more - his flute playing was great
> though...when you could hear it); I think I heard the drums or bass
clipping
> a couple of times.

Agree. From where I was (mid stalls to the left) you couldn`t hear Jerry at
all. Nick came through a lot and was pretty good at times. Simon was barely
audable. Ron seemed to have many problems with both vocals and Bass. I think
he works better when he doesn`t have to play, just sing although I wasn`t at
all impressed with his vocals this time. Much of it was the mix. The drums
sounded like cake tins. Dreadfull.

> Set list (as far as I can remember):
> Aerospaceage Inferno
> Motorway City
> Assault & Battery
> Utopia
> Assassins of Allah
> Hippy
> Blue Skin
> Brainstorm
>
> Encore:
> Ejection
> Master of the Universe

Wasn`t a bit of 'Song of the Gremlins' or somesuch destroyed after Ejection?
There were a couple of  Paranoia outro`s in there too I think. Difficult to
tell at times.

> Nik did say about a gig at Brixton Academy next march with Lemmy, Del,
> Dik...fingers crossed?

Only with a decent sound system.

Overall, I was very disappointed. The worst I`ve ever seen them soundwise
(and I`ve seen a few over the years) and a very disorganised show. Even they
didn`t look like they were particulaly enjoying themselves from where I was.

Si