BOC: Imaginos CD, and other CD queries

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Apr 11 10:26:56 EDT 2000

Tim Gadd wrote:

> Finally, re the self-titled album: I bought a CD copy, about 8 years ago,
> and the quality was really poor: very muffled sound; no hard edges to the
> guitar; generally inferior. However it was in the CBS budget price series at
> 9.95 (which is actually very cheap for a CD in Australia), so I thought
> perhaps that may have had something to do with it, and I bought a
> full-priced copy on their regular label at about $30.00, and that was
> exactly the same. So my question is simply, did they ever get around to
> releasing a CD version of BOC which was as good as the vinyl? Tyranny and ST
> sound great on CD, but the two BOC's I've heard sound pretty sorry.

The CD sound quality of _Blue Oyster Cult_ and _Secret Treaties_ has
long been a topic of complaint on here, i.e., the consensus is that they
are not very good at all.

Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs remastered and released a 2-for-1 of _Blue
Oyster Cult_ and _Tyranny and Mutation_ on one CD not that long ago.
However, since MFSL have gone bust, they may be hard to come by
nowadays.  By all accounts, the sound quality is great.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa