HW:Brixton Votes

Sun Aug 27 09:34:30 EDT 2000

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Filip Vanhuyse wrote:

> Why don't they just play "Space Ritual" and do the encores with
> our favourites?

        Because we've all *got* that already :-) What'll be interesting is
hearing some of the other songs get the "treatment". I don't mind what
they play in fact, I'd like to hear `Damnation Alley' lots but I won't
suffer if it's not there. I'm not expecting it to be the Space Ritual tour
either, all I'm expecting is surprises. That's what they've always
delivered before. Except...

> I remember going to Sheperd's Bush a few years back and
> I was told the London gigs were always something special.
> Must tell you it was one of the worst Hawkwind gigs I ever saw.
> And I've seen quite a few.Even more, not a month later I saw them
> at Brussels(at my home country) and they were really cooking!!!
> Shouldn't bothered to go to London (expencive!)anyhow.

        If that was 1997, I wholly agree with you. Everything was in the
mid-range, you couldn't make out the bass or treble at all adequately,
Crum might as well have not been there and the synths and guitars managed
to blur each other out completely. But the Shepherds Bush Empire is not a
good venue and it was horribly over-full. I think the Academy will be
better (though obviously it would be better still if they were playing the
Forum - best sound system in London). London has it too easy - the venues
don't have to spend as much making things good because people will come
there anyway.

> Anyhow,there are profesional digital 32-track recordings from
> the Brussels gig (some were released on the "In your Area" album)
> But Dave has the whole gig.We talked after the gig and he wasn't
> satisfied with the second part as Ron Tree and Dave couldn't hear
> eachother.But I couldn't hear that.It was far superior to the London gig!!!!
> So why don't we all give Dave a push in the back to release the Brussels
> gig?

        Nuh. We've got _Hawkwind 1997_, that's none of it bad apart from
the gods-awful `Fantasy' - I don't think we need any more official
releases from that tour. There are plenty of other tours without coverage,
some of which Dave presumably has tapes for, let's start on them :-)

> Enough said,I'll be there the 21th,even at the BEEHIVE,with 2 guys who
> never heard Hawkwind before.
> Now that would be a challange:Everybody should bring along 2 guys who had
> never been to a Hawkwind concert before!!

        I'm doing my best... I may get one :-) Yours,
                                                      Jon