HW: More completism

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sat Dec 9 17:32:42 EST 2000

Nick said...

>On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Nick Medford wrote:
>
>> In message <200012091451.JAA22604 at listserv.spc.edu>, Rik Rx <hw at CY-
>> B.ORG> writes
>> >just to throw a spanner in the works..
>> >
>> >rooting through the collection i found an interesting CD
>> >"Nuclear Waste" by Sting and The Radioactors....
>> >The lineup is wayy interesting on 3 tracks...
>> >
>> >Vocals : Sting
>> >Lead Guitar : Steve hillage  - (why i bought it)
>> >Sax & Backing vocals: Nik Turner
>> >
>> >and guess what... it's a voiceprint cd (BP181CD)
>>
>> Wasn't Gong bassist Mike Howlett also involved? The band was actually the
>> genesis of the Police, of course all the psychedelic warriors had left by
>> then.

Perhaps you're thinking of the band Strontium 90, which was
Howlett/Sumner/Somers/Copeland.  The album they recorded (which I don't
think was ever released on LP) was recently put out on CD, with liner notes
by Howlett.  I have it, but haven't played it in awhile, but I do remember
that it contained as bonus track an early acoustic version of 'Every Little
Thing She Does is Magic' by Sting, which oddly enough was really the first
Police track written, though it was released on one of the later albums.

Not sure whether the Nuclear Waste session pre- or post-dated the 90Sr
stuff, but I think it's pretty obvious that the Hillage/Turner/Williamson
connection to Sting and the Howlett connection to the Police are not
coincidental.

So, should I take my Police albums out of my classic rock section, and put
them into my Hawkwind section now?  And how 'bout Animal Logic, with
Copeland on drums?

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  I just bought a DVD player.  I think somebody said that the Chronicle
video is available in this format?  Anything else of interest in the
space-rock/psychedelia vein?  It's a cheap model that doesn't play VCD's (or
CD-R's), but I can play regular CD's over my TV speaker (and my stereo
speakers simultaneously since everything's connected through my VCR) which
is rather peculiar.  Not an improvement really, but just peculiar.  :)

ObDVD: Brazil - The Criterion Collection (I hope it comes soon...I got
nothing to play)  :)