HW: NZ tour track-list

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Feb 3 14:07:04 EST 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:31:26 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
>P.P.P.S.  What does everyone think of the new 'techno-ization' of the ending
>to TGV and a little during SotA?  I don't mind that they do this a little
>during the set (like the Space is Their (Palestine) is pretty cool), but I'm
>a little too 'traditional' to easily accept it being used during these two
>classics.  I was taken aback a little at the end of TGV.

I haven't heard the current rendition of 'Spirit of the Age' yet (just sent
Kevin my snailmail address for the CD-R tree this morning), but that
strikes me as a song that *would* sound good with 'techno-ization' in parts
... I think that would fit in quite well with the original studio version
and its morse-code tapping and Village People (?!?) "sample" (and I love
that the Fly Ashtray cover version substituted an "Astronomy Domine"
sample).  I dunno about "Golden Void", though.

Who sings "Spirit of the Age" on this tour?  I hate to say it, but for some
reason I've never liked Dave's vocal delivery on this song - the rhythm
sounds forced and constipated to me (but he's sounded great singing other
Calvert songs like "Death Trap").  OTOH I thought Nik always did a good job
on this one (and, of course, Bob was incomparable!).  I'm probably
incorrect, but I think the song would sound fantastic sung by Harvey (done
almost as a rant ala "Coded Languages" or "TV Suicide").

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com