Re;Thin Lizzy advert!

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Jun 13 18:19:06 EDT 2000

On 13 Jun 00, at 17:55, Robert C. Mayo wrote:

> <<it's not over until the album comes out....>>
> '...and when it does, you know where to get your copy!'
> that was an unabashed commercial! i've never seen one on the list
> before; i know there are not alot of 'rules' here, but there are
> certain expectations...? is this ok w/everybody? personally, i don't
> delete w/out at least 'skimming' each and every piece on the list; and
> i don't filter anything; but this is the kind of thing that we dread
> when we check our general email, is it not? spam? not a big deal. im
> sure the service is all mr g says it is. ive read all of his posts and
> found them all informative, interesting and entertaining. but it's my
> feeling that this list should be a 'commercial-free' zone. what say
> you all? rmayo serving the public interest since 1964

Well, Al has always sold tBS material through this list--or at least
promoted it, and none of us complain--in fact we depend upon his
notices as many stores don't stock tBS material.  But I think Al should
have some kind of 'papal dispensation' for promoting his albums and
concerts here--hell, it's the reason a lot of us are here.

But, now, if one of us wants to do an advert for his exterminating
business he runs on the side, that might be a problem.  I suggest that
people add a line [not 10 lines!] to their signature if they have
something to promote...

And, I think Andy was really making a joke anyway...
Maybe you wouldn't be so offended if you didn't find the so-called
Thin Lizzy album so heinous?  Personally, I wouldn't mind hearing it,
though I don't think I'd buy it.  I'd much rather get hold of any of
Syke's solo stuff, though not at import prices.  I can't fathom why
they didn't just get together and try to come up with some original
material under a different name?

BTW, over on the Thin Lizzy list, there hasn't been much of an
outcry against this project--folks are generally supportive.  And
people on that list bleed Lizzy Green...

theo