OFF: Clarke's SF books

Thomas Rickert hijinks at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Tue Jun 20 14:16:01 EDT 2000

...now, I've always liked the Smiths, circa Queen is Dead and Hatful of Hollow.
And The Silmarillion has become my favorite Tolkien--it has a certain scope and
grandeur. Don't understand all the slagging that book is getting (it is a
harder, more demanding read), though I can certainly appreciate the slagging
the Smiths get. As some critic once said, you're perfectly within your rights
to hate the Smiths...

However, I take it that you mean May is awful. Could you be more specific? If
it is poorly written or conceived, then, how so?

Thanks,
Thomas