HW Glasto - the last word? (and we're friends again!!)

Wed Mar 29 01:24:56 EST 2000

On Tue 28 Mar Darren NcKeehen wrote:
This is a discussion group, correct?>>>
Oh yes - fun, isn't it. I'm having a great time.

That's what I was doing. There was no personal attack on anyone by
me.>>>
None taken - I am just so wary 'coz normally I'm a mild-mannered,
laid-back dude, but get me fired up about something and watch me fly - I
worry in case I offend someone in the process.

I don't "have about five times as many Hawk albums as I have for any
other band".>>>>
Whoah - if you want a competition for the biggest fan with the smallest
collection, I'm in - y'see I've spent my life selling 'last copies' of
things to fans, thinking I'd get them next time, only to find there'd be
no 'next time' - ho, hum; that's retail for you!!! Still, what I've got
is pretty decent (all the main stuff).

I have about 1000 albums from various bands. About 50 are Hawkwind. I
have some multiple copies of a few releases and in the near future I
will post them on the list to trade for some of the ones that I still
have not found.
HW vinyl is the only vinyl that's being added to my vinyl collection in
many
years. Well OK, I did just buy Eloy Live on vinyl and a Caravan album
and
Omega and a live MAN album w/ John Cipolina... but that's because I
can't
find them on CD and I want to hear them.>>>>>>>
Eloy back catalogue is currently being remastered in its entirety with
bonus tracks, just done first batch and the 'Live' album is part of
batch two which we'll have in soon.

I am not sure, but I probably have about 1000 CDs too. Probably about 60
of them are HW. I have the Griffin and Flicknife versions of one or 2
releases and I have "Undisclosed Files" from EBS and the Griffin
'shield' that came out w/ that release, as well. But that's because (1)
IT's REALLY COOL! and (2) It would seem to be a collectible item.>>>>>>
Too right about the shield - actually ther are only less than 80 or so
in existence for sale now, and we're having some of them, so anyone who
doesn't yet have the shield (and you just can't believe it until you've
seen it - great way to give the postman a bad back!!), get in touch.

What I merely was saying about Glastonbury '90 is that the sound quality
is only fair, but the performance kinda makes up for that, if you like
that particular linup. I know that some Hawkfans don't like Bridget.
Also, it seems as though it would be better to come out the way it did,
sounding probably the best it can, than to have been bootlegged and
sound much worse.>>>>>>>>>
Sometimes, I do wish bootlegs didn't exist, then I remember my
ridiculously large collection of Hot Tuna tapes (just don't ask!!!!) and
think that maybe they aren't such a  bad thing.

That may have been Dave's rationale for releasing it. For that I am
thankful. >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yes - there I agree/ a musician listens with different ears from the
rest of us and if he saw merit in it, in a way, who am I to argue,
performance-wise.

If you want a crisp SBD recording. Don't buy it!>>>>>>>>
Too right.

People SHOULD know this upfront. But it didn't really cost that much
from
Hawkman.....>>>>>>>>
Sadly with Blair in control of the pound, you can't say that about the
UK in general.

I value the honest review, as well. And as I said before, that is part
of my reason for subscribing. Not to offend anyone and not to be
offended.>>
Back to the top - fun, isn't it.
--------
Last word - my favourite Hawkwind album is 'In Search Of Space' - the
first one I ever heard and I'd walk a mile across a ploughed field in
lead-lined boots to hear 'You Shouldn't Do That' - sheer magic.

Andy G.