HW: how many is there

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Dec 14 15:35:18 EST 2001

Hmm ... trying to remember my state of mind when I first wrote the message
two months ago ... ;^) ...

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:33:26 +0000, Jon Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Doug Pearson wrote:
>
>> Hawklords / 25 Years On
>
>        I generally get pernickety about that and say, no, it's a
>Hawklords record not a Hawkwind one. But there's only so far you can take
>that argument of course. It's probably the only `Hawklords' record that
>point of view would be at all defensible over, in fact...

... well, you could argue that Hawkwind have consistently played Hawklords
songs after the fact, so by that definition it's a Hawkwind album.  But
that definition would then also make 'Captain Lockheed' a Hawkwind album!

>> Chronicle of the Black Sword
>
>        Hokay, why not _Live Chronicles_? It was on GWR and it's on Castle
>these days, and it dosn't seem to be in the list of ones you ignored...

That was 100% oversight on my account.  'Live Chronicles' should DEFINITELY
count!  I believe that someone pointed it out shortly after I made the
original post.  There would be something *seriously* wrong if I could list
every Hawkwind album without forgetting at least one, somewhere along the
line.

>> Psychedelic Warriors / White Zone
>
>        _Area S4_ EP here by my count. I see you leave it out deliberately
>below, is that because it has no exlcusive material other than the edited
>`Alien'? If so why is _Decide Your Future_ `in'?

I probably left it out because 'Decide Your Future' has the exclusive
track "Assassin".  Also, the edited version of "Alien (I Am)" is barely
distinguishable from the album cut, while the remix of "Right To Decide" on
the 'Decide Your Future' EP is radically different.

>> Lord of Light EP
>
>        Do you mean the `Love in Space' single?

Yes, exactly.  Another mistake on my part.

>> Hawkwind 1997
>
>        Um, is that really official? I grant you it's a band-sanctioned
>release but it's not what I'd call canon myself, just because of its
>special release arrangements.

It's the only "official" Hawkwind live album between 'Love In Space' (1995)
and 'Yule Ritual' (2000), so I'd count it for that reason (and it's
technically on Hawk/Voiceprint, isn't it?).  But hesitation over counting
it well-understood.

>        37 or 32 by my adjustments. Also...

Yes, you gotta add 'Live Chronicles'.

>> Not counted:
>> California Brainstorm
>
>        Now, why not that one? I know it's a one-off deal but it's not
>like a boot or anything, and furthermore it's a damn good album. Dave's
>guitar on that can be used to cut things...

uh ... possible accusations of self-serving nepotism ;^)?  *I* think it's a
great album, too, especially as 1989/90 was a major high point of
Hawkwind's career.  It's good to consider that there's a live album
between 'Palace Springs' (1989) and 'The Business Trip' (1993).

>> The 1999 Party
>
>        I'd count that too, archive release or not. And I guess therefore
>I'd have to count _Atomhenge 76_ or _Thrilling Adventures_ (but not
>both!). I don't know what I think about _Live 1982_ or _Complete '79_ and
>I certainly wouldn't want to include _Glastonury 1990_ but _Atomhenge_
>seems to be soundboard...

It could also be argued that 'The 1999 Party' and 'Atomhenge 76' fill in
some very important gaps in the official live chronicles.  'Complete 79'
and 'Masques 82' don't carry out that function as much, since plenty of
live material from those eras was already available ('Live 79', 'Zones'
side 2, stuff on Anthology/Acid Daze/etc.).  Same with 'Glastonbury 90'
('Palace Springs', 'California Brainstorm', 'Live in Space 1990').

>> Did I miss any?  Should anything that I didn't count, "count"?  Or vice-
>> versa?  (My criteria for "counting": compilations don't count; various
>> artists albums don't count; recordings that came out *after-the-fact*
>> don't count - that's why 'This is Hawkwind/Do Not Panic' & 'Out &
>> Intake' do count, but 'The 1999 Party' & the 'Hawkwind Zoo' EP don't;
>> EP's with new, non-album material, count; stuff that's *just* remixes
>> doesn't count ... I think that explains everything.)
>
>        I couldn't apply such criteria wthout making exceptions, as you
>see :-) But I think _Live Chronicles_ and _California Brainstorm_ (how far
>after the fact? It was only a year... ) should be in there,

I'll concur on those two.  I guess that makes the total 38, then?

>and either _Area S4_ should be or _Decide Your Future_ shouldn't.

I made my case, but yours is equally valid.

>The rest I'll
>accept is my personal view, and go get some more tea while Keith
>H. decides how he's going to point out the delay between reality and my
>mails this time :-)

There are many realities to be found around this mailing list, that's for

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com