HW: Finest Moments

Tue Feb 27 11:42:10 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Douglas Pearson wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:25:21 EST, Chuck Rosenberg <Chuckrecs at AOL.COM> wrote:
> >Live "Space is Deep" from Space Ritual...just after the guitar-and-drums
> >jam has finished and before the Only Dreaming "whewwwwwwwww" part, Brock
> >is just picking away mellowly and suddenly there's an extra layer of "wah"
> >laid on top...really smooth. Yeah?
>
> Yeah!  I *love* the sound of the Coloursound wah/fuzz that Dave used in the
> early 70s.  Very unlike the more common Crybaby's, Vox's, Morleys, etc.
> One interesting thing about those is that there's no way to turn the wah
> OFF; the switch only turns the fuzz part on & off.  You "deactivate" the
> wah by turning all the way "up" (toe down, heel up).

        I must so agree; the guitar on _Space Ritual_ is a thing of rare
wonder. Obviously one wishes Dave still played like that (or failing that,
as he does on _California Brainstorm_ :-) but it's so weird and unique I
wonder if it's replicable. Certainly I've never heard anyone else play
like that. Who could? This is why Dave must be continually exhorted to
play more guitar: because though he does a perfectly good job with
sequencers and so on, so do many other people. But _no-one_ plays guitar
like that. IMO. Yours,
                        Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)         jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk   |