OFF: Re: HW: Question for Dave regarding use of music for Dr. Who

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jan 24 07:23:40 EST 2001

Bob Lennon writes:

> William,
> I'd be interested in hearing more about this.
> I watched most of the Stranger series and I just never got it.

The basic gist of the series is of a kindof understated superhero who
just runs around time saving Earth and the universe and playing the
English country gentleman.

> As a matter of
> fact, some of them are painful to watch.

The BBC never ever had big budgets for this sort of thing and usually
regard SF as for kids anyway. That means that alien planets are always
in mines or gravel pits and the aliens are kinda hokey. You can get fond
of Daleks, Cybermen and those Yeti with the little control balls in
their backs. I never really much liked the whole Master thing though.

Not all the Doctors (they're reanimated after an actor leaves) were very
good at the style though. Troughton, Hartnell, Pertwee and Baker were a
lot better than some of the later guys. Paul McGann could have pulled it
off in the film though, but they trashed that by spending half of it on
setup and having the Master as the baddie rather than the Daleks or
Cybermen. An update of either of those is badly needed. The Borg are
just so much better dressed than the Cybermen and the Shadows are so
much more subtle than the Daleks. It's going to be very hard to top
Morden as an SF baddie.

FoFP