HW: Thrilling Hawkwind confusion

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Fri Jul 27 15:03:20 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:37:22PM -0400, Doug Pearson wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:28:48 +0100, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
> >Does anyone know if there's a difference between:
> >Thrilling Hawkwind Adventures  GRF840CD   and
> >Thrilling Hawkwind Stories  GCD8402
>
> So 8402 is probably the US catalog number, and 840CD is probably the
> Canadian catalog number
>
> Of course, that doesn't explain the alternate title or catalog number
> prefix, but it's a start ...

Lawsuit avoidance?  It's clearly a takeoff on the SF pulp
"Thrilling Wonder Stories" (gee, where have we seen that before?
:-)   Maybe Griffin Canada got cold feet.  (I'm surprised it
wasn't the other way around; presumably TWS was an American
publication, in which case getting too close to its name would,
if anything, be MORE dangerous in the States than elsewhere.)

As for the prefix, gotta get that "CD" in there somewhere :-)

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
necessarily a good idea.
        - RFC 1925 (quoting an unnamed source)