OFF: ST 37 news

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Jun 8 21:22:45 EDT 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:15:03 -0600, just me <deltawave at METRONET.COM> wrote:
>(from ST37 via) Doug P:
>>"Please try to come out and support this very worthy cause. Roky is
>>receiving treatment for the first time in years and is doing better
>>already but needs some financial help to get through this difficult
>>time.  All the bands have special Roky-related surprises for you
>>musically as well! ...
>
>my fried Pierre and I were at a record convention in Austin, and busily
>scouring for the odd nice Hawkwind LP, and there is Roky, trying to shop,
>but getting asked for autographs.......
>
>he systematically refused to sign any, 1 by 1, waving them off......
>he "gravitated" himself to me and Pierre, as he could tell we were
>safe.......
>we talked and talked and he seemed so interested in US!!!!!  so we went
>with him outside to wait for his mom to come get him........

I wouldn't believe that story coming from most people.  But I easily
believe, without a doubt, that Roky would consider Mike Coleman to be a
kindred spirit and someone "safe"!  (... imagining Mike playing Hawkwind
albums for Roky while Roky puts horror/sci-fi movie tapes in the VCR for
Mike to watch ... all in the midst of an in-depth discussion of UFO
theories ...)

... my favorite Roky story comes from the guys in ST37, some of whom used
to work at the Austin State (mental) Hospital, including one of the times
Roky was staying there.  Apparently they found Roky's diagnosis, which
included the statement, "... has delusions of being a rock star ..."  So
they marched into the doctor's office, arms full of Thirteenth Floor
Elevators and Roky solo albums (and maybe even a few press clippings), and
confronted the M.D. with, "he doesn't have DELUSIONS of being a rock star,
he IS a rock star!"

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com