BOC: CotHM and other things

Scruton, Jason GG3757 at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Wed Jun 13 10:06:40 EDT 2001

>As for IJLTBB, I think it's fun.  Kind of reminiscent
>of "You're Not the One I Was Looking For", which is a
>guilty pleasure of mine.  I enjoy when they get a
>little mischievous.

The intro to the song reminds me of Rainbow's "I need a lover that won't
drive me crazy", and that drives me nuts. if it will ever be played live,
its a slight chance, because under amped-up conditions even that intro might
sound cool.
What works for me about "You're not the one..." is it not so heavy handed in
portraying the main character, while IJLTBB is laying it on way too THICK
-"first names only and one night stands??"

At least when the lyrics in the old days were full of supreme weirdness,
they kept it obscure enough from writing the songs as if they feel its
necessary to say "Hi! We're the Blue Oyster Cult and here's a song where we
show how in tune we are with the dark forces!" or in IJLTBB's case, its "Hi!
we're BOC and in keeping with such a cool and ominous band name, we keenly
document the seedy underside of office workers who have libidinous urges!"

Which is why "Harvest Moon" is cool because you never really know what the
evil power is supposed to be. Funnily enough, its why I like Let Go, because
it takes a fun filled pot shot at B!O!C! "We got the B! we got the O! and
the C!" in keeping with the pot shot-ness of "stairway to the stars."

On another BOC related note, I was listening to Wings Wetted Down the MoFi
version and I gotta say, the band layered that puppy a lot instrument-wise.
Very cool makes it seem even more asking to a very strong effort to do a
concise, choreographed ditty, compared to the jam-ness of 7SdB, OD'd, Teen
Archer fer instance.

{click)
Talking about stuff in live shows, almost all of this new album would
probably fit well into a live set. throw in "X Ray Eyes" , "Damaged" and
"sib" + other tunes from the real back catalog (not ETI) and  you'd have a
kickin show.
However, I think they do need to keep the Buck Dharma guitar solo feature
songs down a bit (what????) -- bucks boogies on top of the usual
lDoM/Astron/VotPW and its a bit buck heavy, and I love what he does on the 6
string. if they ever get around to throwing in a SFg tune into the set,
St.Cecilia or Donovans Monkey would be cool in place of the others for the
more collective improv nature of the solo spots and because they require a
different kind of solo than the usual speed metally thing he does. Or better
yet, why not do Gil Blanco County? they have already memorized the end of
the song, and it's one of A.Lanier's compositions too.

feel the thunder of the midnight ride of Paul revere and the raiders
Jason