BOC: CotHM

Nick English nick at NETPHD.NET
Tue Jun 26 08:27:59 EDT 2001

Thank you, Theo, for bringing things back to the
positive side.  It's been kind of a downer lately the
way people have been expressing their disappointment
with Curse.  Not that I think their opinions
are "wrong". . . it's just that I like this album --
even though it's not "Secret Treaties II" -- and I'm
kinda sad that more fans aren't celebrating what's good
about it, which is actually quite a bit if you ask me.

In addition to classic rockers changing over time, I
think classic rock FANS change over time as well.  We
can't wear our mullets forever, after all.

I'm in such a different place than I was when I first
became a BOC fan.  I've got two youngsters running
around, a mortgage, two car payments, etc.  I'm not
looking for rock and roll to fulfill my life in any
way -- just make it a little more fun.  And -- horror
of horrors -- I could not possibly care less what the
saga of Imaginos is about, what order the songs should
be in or what may have happened to him after the album
ended.  I do, however, think it's an extremely cool
album.

I also think Curse is an extremely cool album.  And I'm
going to continue to do so.

--Nick

> The sad fact of being a fan of classic rockers is
that you have to
> compromise a bit.  Most people simply run out of
ideas over time,
> and considering that BÖC lost so many crucial
songwriting
> contributors over the years, it's surprising they can
put out albums
> at all.  Remember, after 30 years in the business,
most people don't
> have the same fire for writing.  As their lives
change and become
> more mature and loaded with responsibilities, their
approach to
> songwriting changes.  Except Lemmy, but let's face
it, if you own
> one Motorhead album, you've got 'em all...
>

> This is a sad realization for me.. I've
> > been a fan since 1974 and BOC will always hold a
soft spot in my black
> > heart for no other reason than being the creators
of the soundtrack of
> > my life.. But I find the current incarnation of BOC
to be bland,
> > uninteresting and unintentionally funny (like a B-
Movie).

> Hmm...do you think their live shows are bad too?  I
agree with a lot
> of what you say, but I think you're expectations are
unreasonably
> high...
>

> > You can't go back, I guess...
> >
> > JB
> >
> No, you can't.  But consider this:  how pathetic
would it be if BÖC
> intentionally tried to recreate Secret Treaties?  At
least CotHM isn't
> afraid to explore new stuff.  For that matter, BÖC in
their heyday
> never came close to Secret Treaties, even when AB,
JB, RM and
> SP were still aboard.  Times change, and you have to
decide if
> there's enough interesting music left for you to
enjoy.  For me, there
> is.  BD's playing is better than it's ever been, esp.
live, there's no
> comparison.  the only real objection I've got to
CotHM is some of
> the lyrics, not all of them.  True, there's a lot of
power pop on it, but