OFF: Mikey looks into silicon heaven & his platter

Bob Lennon Hawkwinder at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 29 11:51:12 EST 2001

In a message dated 3/29/01 5:23:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK writes:

> Bob Lennon writes:
>
>  > In a message dated 3/28/01 5:32:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>  > fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK writes:
>  >
>  > > Bob Lennon writes:
>  > >
>  > >  > >  > Mike Coleman wishes to express that his hard drive has been
>  > >  > >  > removed
>  > >
>  > >  > >  Weren't all the platters working?
>  > >
>  > >  > uh, what's a platter?
>  > >
>  > >  Before your time.
>  > >
>  > >  FoFP
>
>  > o.k. I believe you, but when was before my time, and what's a platter?
>  > (unless it's of course something simple like the thing you get for
dinner
> or
>  > something...)
>
>  Hard disks used to be composed of a number of layers known as "platters"
>  which were read independently by multiple heads. Hie thee to a tech
>  museum and have a look. Or pop into my office. I have one under the desk
>  here.
>
>  FoFP
well thanks muchly for the info. that must have been way before my time. I
only started using computer in the 70's ....on the tail end of using punch
cards and right before I used cassette tapes for storing files. I am not at
all nostalgic for those days.
of course I never pulled the things apart so it could have been one year ago
and I wouldn't have known the difference.
bob