OFF: Drummers

John H. McCartney scorch at TE-CATS.COM
Wed May 9 15:09:00 EDT 2001

> I have to agree with those who cite Ginger Baker- whatever his failings as a
> human being, the drumming on "Levitation" and- especially- "Do Not Panic" is
> amazing. If you haven't listened to the latter for a while, dig it out
> and prepare to be seriously impressed.

Good stuff, however I'll contend that his very best work is on
Ginger Baker's Air Force, an album that completely blew me away
the first time I heard it, some 24 years ago.....

On the other hand, I have 1 solo Baker album, that I can't even
remember the name of, recorded in his studio in Africa, that is
utter and complete shite. For those who will be able to identify
it, there are some drawings on the back with some wording about
scoring smack being easier than bumming a cigarette, which speaks
volumes.....

scorch