HW: That Hawkwind Moment

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Dec 21 17:22:29 EST 2002

It's winter solstice - so a happy festive time to one and all.  And as
the new year sneaks into view I was musing about various Hawkwind tours
and it occurred to me how many people I have met on a social basis that
seem to have had what I can only call their "Hawkwind Moment".    Some
are partners or friends of people I know from the office, introduced to
me at parties, some just people met in the pub, or friends of my
relatives - but if the conversation drifts into Hawkwind for whatever
reason an astonishing number of these people have one thing in common.
They say "I saw Hawkwind once" and then proceed to tell me about the
date, the venue, the performance, what was happening on stage - they
don't know the names of who was in the band but they will describe in
some detail what different people were doing!     These are not Hawkwind
fans - most have never seen the band again after their initial contact -
but this one single occasion when they saw Hawkwind playing live seems
to have created a defining moment in their life that is so important
they have treasured the memory of that single contact all through the
years - remembering it, carrying it with them throughout everything else
that has happened to them.    I suppose it must occur with other bands
but somehow it always catches me by surprise - the fervour with which
they describe this moment - as if it really meant something to them!

Which kind of leads me on to the other thing I was musing - that
performers and audience inhabit two very different worlds.    The
audience witness an event - a unique never to be repeated occasion that
was crafted especially for them, a once only situation, every moment of
which must be treasured and remembered and recalled because it will
never ever happen again.    The audience then is always living in the
past - remembering an event because it was formed just for them and
there might never be another such moment again.    To the performer
though, the past only represents what he spent hours crafting and
working and experimenting on - working up to a performance that forms
the culmination of all his hours of preparation.   The achievement of a
final product.  A piece of work completed, finished and, above all,
ready for the next phase.   The performer then is always looking
forward - to the stage beyond - to the improved version.    The past
only represents the creative phase - it's the work that lies ahead - in
the future - that is important.

Or is this just rambling nonsense?   Probably!  Put it down to an almost
full moon, the turning of the year and standing on the edge of who knows

In the meantime I'm off to find a small island to imbibe some festive
spirit on so the best of all festive wishes to one and all whenever,
whatever and however you choose to celebrate!

jill