OFF: Guitar question

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed May 1 07:28:44 EDT 2002

On 30 Apr 2002, at 21:07, Moonglum . wrote:

> Other guitars you could consider are an old Fender Mustang or a
> Charvel Surfcaster - with the oversized Charvel logo, i.e. not a
> Jackson one.  Get one that's beat-up looking to save some money on the
> purchase....

yeah, but Mustangs are just as unreliable tuning-wise.  And they're
soaring in price these days.  Some of the Surfcasters have a fixed
bridge, but they've got those lipstick-tube pickups, which are kind of
weak and noisy.  And, they're semi-hollow, so they'll feed back
some.  A neat choice for a second guitar, I guess...

> Other vintage guitars that aren't in the Jaguar/Jazzmeister price
> bracket are the Fender Duo-Sonic and the Gibson Melody Maker.  You can
> hear sound samples of these at http://www.tonefrenzy.com

None of which are inexpensive anymore, though.  For what you'd
pay for one of those, you'd be able to find a well-made new import
model that would likely perform better.  And none of the guitars
mentioned above by anyone will get anything close to a Jazzmaster
sound!

theo