Off: Suzuki

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 17 16:13:45 EDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002 13:31:36 -0400, Eric Siegerman <erics at TELEPRES.COM>
wrote:
>The backing/opening band, Cul de Sac, are great too.

Yes!  (Although their original drummer is still the best one they've ever
had.)

>Their synth player, Robin Amos, is hauling an old
>early(?)-seventies Electrocomp around on tour.

Yep, an early-70s EML101.
<trivia>Alan Ravenstine of Pere Ubu used the same model (as did Ian
MacDonald with Foreigner, but you didn't really want to know that, did
you?).  There's also a track on the F/i box set 'Out of Space / Out of
Time' called "EML" which consists entirely of bandmembers noodling around
with Grant's EML collection (in addition to the 100/101 monosynths, there
was also an EML200 "expander module", EML300 programmable control-voltage
source, EML400/401 analog sequencer, and a bizarre critter called the "Poly-
Box" which would convert a monophonic synth sound into a polyphonic
chord ... sort of ... Robin used one to great effect with his early-80s new
wave band, the Girls).

> It makes great spacy sounds :-)

... and does so better than any other (non-modular) vintage synth (IMO)
except the Korg MS-20 and (of course!) EMS VCS3/Synthi.  Robin is a very
talented EML101 user (I own one, and it's not quite as easy, although it
sure is equally rewarding, to coax those kind of sounds out of it, as the
other two examples).</trivia>

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com