OFF: Turner & Yorn (was NIK: Appearance at WC2002?)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 31 03:51:15 EDT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 21:01:25 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>>I'm pretty sure he's a neo-/alterna-folkie/singersongwriter type, sort of
>>like Jeff Buckley or Elliot Smith ...
>
>Is that 'emo' or whatever it is?*

Nah, 'emo' has the same kind of whiny/overdramatic vocals, but it's more of
a punk genre with big power chords & melodramatic arrangements & and
stuff.  Sort of a power ballad genre for the 90s.  Bad Religion are an old-
school band that wound up being grandfathers of emo.

>>(now YOU tell me who Pete Zorn is ...
>>the only Zorn I know of is saxophonist/bandleader John)
>
>He's a sax player (isn't John Zorn also a sax player?)

Yep.

>IIRC, who I remember from somewhere in the post-Zombies Argent/Ballard
>family tree.  That's all I can tell you.  Don't even know if he ever did
>anything on his own.  (I know Raphael Ravenscroft did...I used to have an
>LP of his *long* ago.)

After checking the reference book, yeah, it looks like he was pretty much a
session hack.  Russ Ballard, Gerry Rafferty, stuff like that.  He even
played on the Raphael Ravenscroft album! (Not that I've actually heard any
of that stuff.)

>Are the Zorn's brothers?

... I'd seriously doubt it (for the reason you point out) ...

>(I don't know much of anything about John....he's
>much more of an avant-garde jazz dude ain't he?)

Exactly.

>Though I thought John was American,

You're batting 1.000 ... New York, to be precise.

>and I would have guessed Pete was English.

Me, too.

>*BTW, whatever happened to Emo Phillips?

I'll let someone else tackle that one.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com