Right to decide?

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Nov 19 13:24:26 EST 2003

Paul Mather writes:

> You know Mike, you might actually try *being* on a US university
> campus rather than getting your facts vicariously through various
> chaps like O'Rourke

Hey, I just get them of wesites by looking at what FIRE and others have
been up against.

> Your world-view of US campuses bears no relation to my direct ongoing
> experience, nor of anyone I know at other campuses (both as faculty or
> student).  And I'm at a university that has acknowledged "campus
> diversity issues" and occasional "diversity forums!"

So what proportion of academics are Republicans where you are? Why are
there "diversity issues" where you are if there's no problem? Why would
they need "diversity forums"? Do First Amendment rights hold for
everyone anywhere on campus or are there "speech codes" concerning
things people aren't permited to say? Where are you?

> Now if you want to talk about loony, why not have a butchers at "No
> Child Left Behind," where children are mandated not to be sick because
> perfect attendance is required to be in compliance... :-\

I haven't been following that programme. Got a reference I could look at?

> PS: Actually, here at VT it's been the lefties so far who've been
> stopped from speaking by the administration.

Surely they have the same rights as everone else?

> We had some "Earth
> First!"  speakers at one time refused to speak on campus as invited
> speakers by a club, and it was stated that henceforth all speakers
> would have to be cleared by the university before being allowed to
> speak.  The reason given was it allegedly violated some "promotion of
> terrorism" aspect of some gubbins like the Patriot Act (or similar
> heavy-handed right-wing legislation currently under effect).  After a
> brouhaha (including faculty mass silent protests), the Powers That Be
> eventually backed down and removed the vetting requirement.

> But it's only conservatives who are being singled out, right?

Not what I said and I'm pro free speech for everyone from Stalinist
Communist right through to the National Front.  Still, do you know of
any bills going through Congress to increase the number of leftwingers
in Academia? Do you think there's a shortage?

FoFP