Exeter 25th October

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 31 16:55:40 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, alan day wrote:

:Subject: Re: Exeter 25th October
:
:I always find in these "smaller" venues you're better off near the front. It
:took alot of persuading to get Andrea up there as she gets panicky
:normally,( I mean at OTHER gigs) but at Hawkwind, everyone seems to respect
:each others space. The novices seem to gravitate towards the back! I felt
:very out of place? People obviously didn't have much idea about what they
:were about to see.... I'm glad (VERY) that I moved to stage left??
:Wonderful!!Al.
:

Hrm.  I beg to differ (re: "everyone seems to respect each others
space.")  I used to go up to the front all the time, but
there has always been some level of personal discomfort up there (where
"personal discomfort" = my state when people start dancing vigorously into
me, or people do the "wave the arms" thing and end up smacking me, or even
when people just trod on me because they have completely lost their sense
of space.)

At a Liverpool gig I got punched when I was up at the front, and after
that, I've tried to avoid the absolute front, unless I have a buffer of
other folks I know and like around me.

Nowadays, I try to gravitate to any place where I can see (being somewhat
short) or failing that, anyplace where the sound is good.  In many
circumstances, this happens to be floating near whomever is doing the
sound.

Arin
(who has been somewhat quiet of late.  sorry!)
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/ENSS/NSIT                 tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559