OFF: what is your top 5

Sat Apr 10 10:38:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Doug Pearson wrote:

> They managed to find the take with Syd of Kevin Ayers' "Singing a Song In
> The Morning" for the recent reissue of 'Joy Of A Toy', so that would seem
> to bode well for this possibility ... (and with today's technology, if the
> tape exists at all, it can be *made* playable, and then "fixed" pretty
> well digitally)

        Some kind of source for much of this stuff seems to exist, as a
year or two ago when I was still inhabiting parts of Usenet I observed a
post to alt.music.psychedelic informing the world that some Barrett fan
organisation were compiling a six- (six!) CD-R set of his entire
recordings; it was a subscription thing, and spoke deeply to me of utter
fanaticism :-) Can't remember what was on it but a Google search on the
group for some string should...

        Ah yes! a *12*-CD-R set, my mistake! See:

<http://www.google.co.uk/groups?selm=rCV28.5504%24JT5.1314775%40news1.rdc1.az.home.com&output=gplain>

        Apologies for the long URL: I searched for "Vegetable Man" in
alt.music.psychedelic and it came up first hit. Only tracklists the Floyd
and solo stuff however so I can't tell you if that one you mention was in
there :-)

> (now, if they could only officially release the Pink Floyd recordings
> of "King Bee", "Lucy Leave", "Scream thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable
> Man" ...)

        Hell yeah. Another of my pet things EMI should do (after
rereleasing _Warrior_, ASAM, _Quark_ and _25 Years On_ of course) is do
another little EP-let like their _1967: The First Three Singles_ is one
called something like _The Next Three Singles_ with that stuff, `Point Me
at the Sky' and `It Would Be So Nice' on it, just to get it all out there
*once*... It's not as if it wouldn't sell. But maybe it wouldn't sell
*enough*... Yours,
                   Jon

n/p: Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - `Attack'
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)