Germany again...

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Thu Aug 12 11:08:29 EDT 2004

Mike asked...

>After Burg Herzberg and all those friendly Germans and Bavarians, we've
>decided to emulate Kris'n'Dave and take the ferry to travel through
>Holland/Belgium/Germany for the last third of the month.  Does anyone
>know of any bands playing or festivals in that corner of Europe that I
>should try to catch?

I just took a brief look at:
http://www.eclipsed.de/tourdaten/tourdaten.html
and it doesn't look like much interesting is happening...but I'll keep
a lookout.  BTW, do you mean end of *August*?  If you can get to the area
between Ulm and Bodensee (far south in Germany) by next weekend, 20-22.8,
there is a small festival from the Faust (Klangbad label) folks, including
Circle, Ole Lukkoye, and a freak-electronic band called S/T, among others.
www.klangbad.de for details.  I *might* make it there.

>Any tips on towns/places worth visiting grafefully accepted (Dave?
>Kris?).  We're into nice towns, scenery, and of course beer.

I much prefer the medium-sized cities over the really big ones.  Frankfurt
and the Ruhr Valley (and along the Rhein from Koeln north) is pretty
boringly industrialized (sorry, Bernhard).  But farther south on the
Rhein is a nice section, where it narrows to almost a canyon, around the
town of Lorelei.  I went through there on the train (only), and hope to
actually stop and visit sometime.

Also, I like Muenster, Kassel, and Wuerzburg.  Nice "green" areas and
some stuff that actually survived the bombing, or else rebuilt in the
same style.  There's the famous tourist-trap town of Rothenburg ob der
Taube that might be a nice stop if you're in the Wuerzburg area, or on
your way to either Muenchen or Bohemia.

Natuerlich ist die Schweiz doch noch schoener!  :)

>I'd like to get as far as Bohemia before heading back, though we may
>not want to do as much driving as that would require.

That part of 'Germany' is really in Czech Rep., yeah?  Just so you know.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  I'm just back from Budapest and this enormous Sziget festival.
My first experience with such a huge (>100,000?) event, with maybe 20
different stages of all shapes and sizes, and massively (over)-
commercialized.  (Presumably, Roskilde and/or modern-day Glasters are like
this?!) Well, ok, I can complain about that, but I won't complain about the
quality of the music, 'cause I saw some awesome bands like Korai Orom,
Colorstar, Masfel, Amorphis, and this very Ozric-y band TanuTuva which has
very little (or none) web presence, from what I can tell so far.  I didn't
find any CDs of theirs at any vendor, so maybe they don't have any, but I
would like to know more about them if anyone can tell me, or can go to this
page and read Hungarian.

Here, or alternately, here...
http://underground.pcdome.hu/cikk.php?id=2168
http://www.underground.pcdome.hu/galeria.php?id=497