OFF: Amazon Deal

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Nov 29 04:35:28 EST 2004

On 29-Nov-2004 09:21, Jon Jarrett wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, M Holmes wrote, of Amazon:
>> Apart from them being unable to find one thing (not a book) that I
>> ordered, I've been a happy bunny. I was also worried when they took over
>> Bibliofind, which I used to use, but their "Find it Used" service has
>> proved pretty damn good also.
>
>         I was working in second-hand bookselling when Amazon took over
> Bibliofind, and my impression then was that they had no idea what to do
> with it. Bibliofind had been a useful little provider which often stocked
> stuff that other people didn't have [...]

I tend to use abebooks as my first stop for genuinely out-of-print
books, or books published further outside the English-speaking world
(though I've occasionally hit up Amazon.fr or Amazon.de).  Abebooks have
a .com and a .co.uk site, and the UK site optionally lets me list
results with UK sellers first if I _really_ want it fast (though the
weak dollar means even with shipping things from outside the UK are
usually cheaper, if I can wait a couple of weeks -- which I generally can).

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
http://www.carlaz.com/