Philip Dick

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Jul 4 14:41:18 EDT 2005

Jon Jarrett wrote:

>        I've never managed to see the original version. I'd just about
>become aware of the film when the Director's Cut came out, and since then
>I've been unable to catch the original anywhere. The fact that nobody
>seems to think this is a bad thing has stopped me tracking it down on
>video or suchlike. Am I right in believing that the Director's Cut, as
>well as losing the `voiceover crap', also loses the soundtrack? I've
>always wondered if that was a loss or not.

I saw the Director's cut fairly recently, and it has a soundtrack.  It's
atmospheric, unlike the jarring soundtracks of many modern films, so it
might be easy to think one was not present. :-)

>        On-topic link: this means the only place I've ever heard the
>Bladerunner theme is just before BÖC take the stage :-) Yours,

Don't BOC play the end titles music?

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Having seen the film as it was originally theatrically release, I
have to say I much prefer the Director's Cut without the
patronising/editorialising voiceover and Brazil-style Hollywood Happy
Ending.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa