OFF: Colour Haze & Los Natas; Euro dates incl. UK

Tue Nov 1 18:21:44 EST 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 04:15:28PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> Los Natas did a HW cover, too, I think .... "Brainstorm"?  Not in
> Spanish, though, AFAICR ....

        No, it's in English, and it's only all right really. It's on a
fairly disappointing compilation of seventies covers by stoner bands
called _Sucking the 70s_, which has so very many good ideas and so few of
them coming off. Clutch, for example, cover Tull's `Cross-Eyed Mary',
which should be a match made in heaven, but it's a sub-par live
performance with no frills when frills is half of what it's about.[1] I'm
sure they could do it better than that. Tummler's `Working for MCA' adds
pace but loses snarl and shape from the original, and it goes on like
that. Los Natas's performance is probably one of the less disappointing
pieces on it, but really, it's a poor collection. Just by way of warning,
yours,
       Jon

[1] Though the Mushroom River Band's version of `Hymn 43' is surprisingly
OK.
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk