Julian Cope on BOC

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Oct 5 07:30:29 EDT 2005

On 05/10/2005 02:14, Albert Bouchard wrote:
> But odd that he didn't mention Imaginos. It certainly seems like it
> would have fit into his concept of the true BOC. I guess he doesn't
> consider it a REAL BOC album. Rightly so.

"True", but not "Real"! :)

When I first heard Imaginos, I thought it was a) great and b) a "real"
BOC album: both a return to form and an update that worked better than
the early 80s albums (admittedly, I heard *any* BOC, other than Reaper
on classic rock radio stations, until I went to university in the early
90s, so I was thinking of "form setting" in the early albums and "form
returning" for Imaginos almost simultaneously :)

When I eventually learned real story of Imaginos, I still thought it was
great :)

I dunno, perhaps I'd have different feelings about the trajectory of BOC
if I'd been a big fan back in the early 70s instead of a toddler.  I
came to basically the band's whole catalog -- the good, the bad, the
ugly -- at once.  Seeing it as a block, I had no trouble thinking of
"Vengeance" or "Unknown Tongue" as being from the same band as
"Transmaniacon" or "Astronomy".  (I only wished, not being an aficianado
  of the lo-fi "Detroitish" vibe, that the early recordings sounded as
good as the later ones!).  I only thought about songs I like more or
less and albums that felt stronger or weaker.

So, whether Imaginos was real or not always took a back seat to whether
it rocked or not.  And, well, with giant riffs and huge prodcution
overlying uebercryptic Cthuloid imagery, what's not to like? :)  "I Am
the One" remains one of my fave tunes :)  It is *criminal* that it
didn't receive some sort wild MTV promo video and zoom to Number 1!  tBS
should feel free to bring it back out of mothballs as and when :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson