BOC: Long Day's Night version confusion

John Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Fri Sep 23 07:51:35 EDT 2005

>>I'll second that.
>

> I actually wasn't sure if John was referring to my scoring a Stalk-Forrest CD
> for $10, or simply buying OYFOOYK.

Well, it could apply equally to both, but in this case I was referring
to getting the SFG CD - sure, it doesn't sound exactly like BOC, but for
the fan, a great collectible, and an insight into the band's formative
years.

But I'd also have to agree about OYFOOYK - a fantastic live album that
really captured early BOC (come to think of it, listening to "Subhuman",
you can hear those early psychadelic influences from the time period
when the band was the Stalk-Forrest Group).  Although, it was "Some
Enchanted Evening" that changed my life - not necessarily because it was
better, but because it was my first BOC album (I bought it from a used
record store after someone told me that BOC had this song called
"Godzilla" - I was a huge Godzilla fan at the time).

>>That album changed my life and playing along with it took
>>my bass playing to a whole new level.  Magical stuff on that disc.
>

> I listened to it yesterday and it's really, really good.  I'm not even the
> biggest fan of the real early stuff, but it sounds so much better live.
>

>>At times
>>I wish it was sonically better, but then I realize that the almost "bootleg"
>>quality adds to the magic.

It's a live album, that sounds, well, live.

> Hmmmm..  I was actually quite impressed with the sound-quality myself (though it
> seemed to get a bit worse towards the end).   I wonder if there are different
> pressings?
>

>> The next best thing to being there.  Long live
>>BOC! (and continued success to the Bouchard Bros)
>

> Yes, and yes!  I wish I could make it to the BS gig tomorrow night at the Abbey
> Lounge, but I don't think I can swing it.  We'll see...

Me too - this will be the first tBS gig in the greater Boston area I've
missed.  Unfortunately I've got some other family matters to attend to.

Come back to Boston soon Al!

John