OFF: Re: R. E. M.

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Aug 11 16:44:30 EDT 2006

Quoting John Majka <jmajk at INDY.RR.COM>:

> R.E.M.,  like so many bands, has become rather boring in recent years...
> well the recent decade, I suppose.  The early material was spectacular,
> strange fare.  My favorite R.E.M. albums remain "Fables of the
> Reconstruction" and "Reckoning" though "Green" is also incredibly strong.
> As the years went by, the band become increasingly "by-the-numbers"
> sounding.  I would say that "Green" was the last great album, and there were
> tracks on individual albums after that which were fantastic, but the good
> songs were becoming fewer and fewer.

I guess I'll be the lone voice of disssent and say I MUCH prefer the R.E.M.
albums from Out of Time onward, and think Up especially is brilliant.

> Their declining course isn't unlike
> that of Rush, who is also in the business these days of producing rather
> uninspired and uninspiring, though competent, albums.

I'll mostly agree, but I think Vapor Trails was a pleasant surprise.

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"Dark Star crashes pouring its light into ashes. Reason tatters, the forces