OFF: Orange Goblin

Tue Jun 6 18:41:54 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 02:26:34PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> That's it, yes: _The Big Black_ sounded quite dense and crowded in
> comparison with _Time-Travelling Blues_.  I mean, one's gotta like
> tracks like "Scorpionica" :) but things don't really "breathe" on the
> album.  And what I heard of _Coup de Grace_ got, I dunno, just a bit too
> thrashy and punky, which is fine though I don't think it's the band's
> forte ....  Haven't heard a whisker from _Thieving ..._ yet though!

	I figured that the sound of _The Big Black_ and _Coup de Grace_
was down to people's reactions to _Time Travelling Blues_. Whether
people liked it or not, almost every review I saw said "and it sounds
like Lynyrd Skynyrd", or in extreme cases "What is this supposed to do
for me that any Montrose LP doesn't?" (I saw this comment on a different
list at the time TTB came out; only reason I ever checked out
Montrose... )

	But anyone who's seen Orange Goblin will know that their
front-man at least is somehow convinced that they're a heavy metal band,
so I suspect that they were trying really hard to sound more dense metal
and less seventies groovy clearlight with the follow-up, and then stuck
with it alas... Yours,
			Jon

ObCD: Brainticket - _Cottonwood Hill_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk