Lastwind (was Re: Northampton gig)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Oct 26 06:06:28 EDT 2006

On 25/10/2006 11:52, Wright, Mike wrote:
> I got there at 8:25 and managed to see 15 mins of Lastwind, was was
> good. It was Paul Hayles on 2 keyboards, and backing tapes I gues, with
> a very fine guitarist doing blanga crossed with the odd wailing bit.
> Brock meets hillage. Very tasty amd I would like to buy some of their
> stuff. I guess the website http://www.lastwindmusic.com/ is not
> representative of this gig, as it is more soundtrack stuff, but if they
> were to record what they are doing live I would happily pay for it.

Lastwind were, indeed, pretty good.  The first track just went
thump-thump-thump-thump with wubbly noises, and I thought "Oh dear", but
then things brightened up considerably.  I quite enjoyed the second
song, "Autoroute", which crunched very nicely, and the sometimes more
laid back "Paris-Marseilles".  The did "Slots" and "Monster Trucks",
too, which are on the myspace page.

The presence of the guitarist (a guy known as OBNY, apparently) was
definitely a plus as he added a great deal of organic, spontaneous feel
(which would have been difficult to achieve with just Paul standing
behind the keyboards).  I think they would likewise benefit a lot from
the addition of a live drummer and/or percussionist -- I know that's
more ways to split the money, but it would add a lot to the live
performace, IMO.  (They could probably carry on getting away without a
bassist more easily, I think.)

All in all, good stuff!  It will be interesting to see how Paul carries
forward.

Cheers,
Carl

--