OFF: Fear Of Mike Coleman's Black Planet

Thu Aug 16 13:01:54 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 10:19:55AM -0400, David Kuznick typed out:
> Quoting Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>:
> > 	I think what I am listening to in PT isn't necessarily what
> > other people re. For example, at about the same time this mail I'm
> > answering hit the list, so did another from David K. saying he thought
> > that _Fear of a Blank Planet_ was a slight but welcome step away from
> > metal back towards their proggier side.
> Though there are parts that are very heavy as well (like the first track).

	Their heavy I can take or leave. If I wanted Steven Wilson doing
metal I'd be buying Opeth not PT.

> > This cheers me as a prospect
> > but it'd cheer me a lot more to hear someone says "this is a *weird*
> > album man, like the old psychedelic stuff", because that's what first
> > got me into them.
>
> Well, anyone who said that would be lying. :-)

	Which leads me on to the all-important question! Now that I no
longer get the Freak Emporium mail order catalogue and besides the which
Kozmik Ken doesn't review for them any more so the actual information on
wound is much lower: where *should* a sort-of-head such as myself be
looking for the new freaky music? Stoner rock seems to have calmed down
a lot; I know roughly what doom I need to be getting still; I am way way
behind on the whole Krautrock thing and have plans; Litmus appear to be
the only worthwhile spacerock band actually still producing (for now);
but where is the psych happening now? Mr Wilson will not provide; who
will? I haven't discovered a new band that were ever going to get beyond
a pub for a *long* time now.

> I love Stop Swimming. :-)

	If I owned any of your works, I'd disown them for that :-)
Actually, hell, you're on the Scylding demo aren't you? Well I'm keeping
that. So much for my grand resolves! Yours,
					    Jon

Ob2LP: ST37 - _Glare_ (one source of freaky sounds I'm also behind on)
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk